Australia is a place that I have always wanted to go but never thought I would. I can’t believe I got the opportunity to not only go to Australia, but play a top ten golf course in the world. This week reminded me that I live an awesome life and am living a dream come true playing on the LPGA!
Travis and I flew early (left Wednesday and arrived Friday) so that we would have time to get adjusted to the time difference and recover from 24 hours of traveling. It only took us a day to get adjusted and we had a few days to be tourists. We stayed in St. Kilda, which is a town south of downtown Melbourne right on the beach. Our hotel was a block away from all sorts of restaurants and shops that we could walk to each day.
We wanted to see koalas and kangaroos so we made a trip to the Melbourne Zoo. It was an awesome zoo with lots of animals to see! I would highly recommend it if you are ever in that area. We took the tram downtown and walked around. It had a New York City feel with crowds of people and street performers.
We also found a market where we bought our family members souvenirs and had to bring back some boomerangs! Melbourne is known for their ice cream and coffee shops and we sure had plenty of both! It was fun to be in a new place trying new things.
Hitting off the range and playing the same course where players like Tiger Woods and Adam Scott, was pretty surreal. This is a links style golf course and it was playing fast and firm. The greens were crisp and most of the time you had to land your approach short of the green for the ball to hold.
Royal Melbourne is ranked the 8th golf course in the world and they have held the President’s Cup and multiple Men’s Australian Opens. Travis and I came up with a game plan for each hole and felt really positive going into the first day. Once again, I grabbed the last tee time of the wave. The first day I was the last off in the morning and hit 14 greens and shot 4 over par. I played so much better than my score and had 3 3-putts. It was very frustrating but I had to take the positives and bring them into the next day.
We had a delay on Friday and didn’t tee off until 2:40. As we made the turn, mowers were following us trying to prepare the course for the next day. I wasn’t hitting the ball very well but was scraping it around to save some pars. My putting was much better but I was missing a lot more greens. A double on my 15 hole shot my chances of making the cut.
We finished in the dark and I missed the cut by 4. I can easily think of 4 shots I can erase. Another frustrating week but another leaning experience. I made way too many mistakes that caused me to make bogey or worse. I need to slow things down out there and take my time to make sure I’m 100% committed before every shot.
I was ready to get back home to have 3 weeks to work on my game and be ready to start back again on the West coast of the US. We almost missed our connection flight due to weather and Travis and I ran through Sydney like we were on the Amazing Race. We did not want to miss our flight back to the US. Unfortunately, that meant our bags didn’t make it with us. We got our bags 4 days after we were home. Thank goodness I didn’t have a tournament to go to!
Not having my golf bag was a blessing in disguise because it allowed me to catch back up on Florida time (I was majorly jet lagged) and take some time off from golf before I could recharge. The first 3 events were not my best but I learned from all of them. A score doesn’t define me and I can’t wait to get back out there to show the world what I’m made of! Thanks for your encouragement and support!